The Agriculture and Fisheries Development Programme (AFDP) is a six-year programme designed using an inclusive food systems approach that promotes livelihoods’ diversification strategies and resilience (complementary crops and fisheries) in such a way that Programme investments will not only be profitable, but bring broad-based benefits for nutrition and social inclusion, and have positive or neutral impacts on natural resource management and bio-diversity.
The overall goal of the Agriculture and Fisheries Development Programme (AF DP 2021-2027) is to contribute to inclusive food systems for improved livelihoods, food security, nutrition and Its development objective is to ‘enhance sustainable productivity, climate resilience and commercialization of selected crop seeds, fisheries and aquaculture’, while devoting particular attention to women empowerment and youth participation.
The overall target of the Programme is 260,000 households corresponding to approximately 1,400,000 persons. I hese include: (i) 200,000 smallholder farming households accessing, using and maintaining improved seeds for preferred varieties of maize, sunflower and beans/pulses; (ii) 1,000 small and medium scale seed producers and agro-dealers participating in seed distribution and marketing; (iii) 48,000 artisanal fishers, fish processors and traders along the Indian ocean coast of Mainland and Zanzibar; 6,000 small holder aqua-farmers; lb,000 smallholder seaweed producers and processors (80 percent women), and 1,000 unemployed young women and men who will find employment opportunities in the seed and fish value chains.
The Prime Minister’s Office Policy, Parliament and Coordination wishes to recruit suitable candidates to fill the following positions in the Agriculture and Fisheries Development Programme (AFDP) Coordination Unit (AF DP) as mentioned below.
VACANCY NO: 2/2022: NUTRITION AND GENDER EXPERT
I he PCU will oversee nutrition interventions through a nutrition and gender expert and work closely with District Community Development/
Nutrition Officers who will inform the design of nutrition interventions with their knowledge of the current nutrition initiatives, local customs, practices and challenges. I he programme will support design and rollout of training of trainers in nutrition to raise group mentors targeting women and youth in each district of the programme area. Ihe Work station will be at Dodoma but he/she will travel extensively within the project area as may be required. Fle/she will sign a two (2) year Contract of Employment with the initial six months on probation. I he contract will remain in force but renewable annually based on satisfactory annual performance. Fle/she will be answerable to the Project Coordinator for the following duties and responsibilities
- I he Nutrition, Gender and Youth Specialist will in close liaison with other PMU staff, coordinate all the nutrition, gender, youth and social inclusion including focus on minority groups and persons with disability related activity of the project including preparation of a gender, social and nutrition inclusion strategy and action plan to be implemented at County/Sub-county level, including working in close collaboration with community development specialist to ensure community mobilization/sensitization activities are organized in order to capture women and youth groups; ensuring affirmative actions are undertaken for their participation
- Responsible for the implementation of the AFDP Gender empowerment, Youth, Nutrition and Social Inclusion Strategy in project interventions to ensure results for gender mainstreaming, youth and nutrition are achieved and on track.
- Develop a strategy for awareness creation and capacity building on gender equality and nutrition, participation of women, men, youth and vulnerable groups in project-supported activities;
- Develop the project’s nutrition strategy
- In collaboration with the project M&E specialist, ensure adequate data collection on nutrition, gender and youth indicators and entry in the Project’s M&E database; ensure that nutrition, gender and youth indicators are tracked and reported on a regular basis (along with other project reporting schedules);
- lo support youth employment and self-employment by promoting the involvement of young men and women in aquaculture related enterprises, introducing through them a business-oriented approach to the Subsector;
- Work to sensitize all project and partners that project outcomes should be achieved with respect for the principle of gender equity and women’s empowerment;
- Identify any capacity gap from project implementers that limit achievements of gender and nutrition related objectives and propose practical solutions to address the gap;
- Reviewproject implementation processes and outputs to provide feedback, quality assurance and advise project teams on corrective interventions with respect to gender equality, women’s empowerment, youth and nutrition mainstreaming.
- Reviewannual project plans and monitor budgets to ensure that adequate attention is paid (and resources allocated) to support practical and strategic support to women and youth, nutrition initiatives and to influence the wider policy/decision-making community to protect and promote equity and nutrition mainstreaming
- Ensurethat communication materials promote gender equality, youth inclusion and nutrition knowledge and education, review existing training materials and evaluate whether additional information shall be included for specific sectors/issues. Ensure that the materials the project develops are gender sensitive in their language and image;
- Ensurethat gender transformative and nutrition education and awareness, trainings and refresher courses are held for all staff at all levels. Be available for support in related trainings/workshops preparation and follow up;
- Providesupport where necessary for the successful execution of stakeholder engagement and information gathering sessions on gender, youth and nutrition issues including linkages with women, youth and nutrition networks.
- Conductand organize capacity strengthening activities for all the project staff and other relevant partners based on gender, nutrition and SI gaps identified;
- Ensurethat the project implementation teams (at all levels) are sensitized to gender, youth, nutrition and diversity issues that they should expect and explore in their interaction with the community through regular trainings and sensitization programmes;
- Interactingwith communities to gain better understanding of women’s, youth and nutrition issues, perceptions and guiding implementers in approaches to better integrating women, youth into project activities;
- Monitorparticipation of women and youth in community development activities and decision-making processes and making recommendation to improve processes;
- Supportthe documentation of best practices and lessons learned for in-country and global dissemination;
- Supportpreparation, implementation and monitoring of the gender, youth and nutrition action plans and related activities;
- Anyother duty (related to the Programme’s activities) as may be assigned by the Programme Coordinator.
Academic qualifications and other requirements for the Position:
- BSc in Nutrition, Flome Economics and Nutrition or related field to Rural Development/Community Development/Gender/Nutrition/Social Inclusion
- Master’s Degree in Social Sciences, or related field to Community Development/Rural Development/Gender/Nutrition/Social Inclusion is an added advantage
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in Community Development and applied nutrition and gender mainstreaming at project or institutional level;
- Minimum of five (b) years’ experience with youth targeting in agriculture/fisheries-based rural development programmes.
- Must have practical work experience in agriculture/fisheries projects in I anzania or the region at least b years in nutrition/gender/social inclusion;
- Must be familiar with Ianzania’s diverse agro-ecological zones including the their different agricultural and fisheries systems and development needs;
- Experience in training, capacity building, knowledge of PRA techniques
- Fluent in English (written and spoken) knowledge of local languages such as Swahili will be an added advantage
- Excellent communication skills and proven writing ability;
- High level of computer proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit their application, including a letter of interest, complete curriculum Vitae and copies of Certified Academic Qualification to:
Prime minister’s Office,
Policy, Parliament and Coordination
Po. Box 980 – Dodoma
Environmental Management Expert at Agriculture and Fisheries Development Programme (AFDP)