The Tanzanian Diabetes Association (TDA) is a nationally recognized leader on diabetes policy and practice, a convener of the community movement, a partner to including foundations, government, and an advocate for people at risk of or living with diabetes including type 1 diabetes.
TDA in partnership with the University of Pittsburg and Life for A Child (LFAC) are looking forward to conducting a clinical trial to determine whether insulin glargine reduces the risk of serious hypoglycemia or improves Time in Range over 3-6 months when compared against standard of care human insulin (e.g. NPH or premixed 70/30) among youth living with type 1 diabetes (T1D) in low resource settings (HumAn-1 Trial). This is a two year project to be implemented between 2022-2024.
Therefore, TDA is calling for qualified candidates to apply for the following positions:
Position title: Research Assistant (2 positions)
Reports to: Site trial coordinator
Location: Sekou Toure Hospital and Bugando Medical Center, Mwanza City
Contract: Full time, 1 years, renewable
- Medical doctor (MD, MBCHB) who has completed internship with clinical experience of at least one year
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
- Has had prior experience in obtaining consent (preferred) Trained in or have experience with diabetes care services Completed human subjects research training requirement(s) per the local 1RB.
- GCP qualifications, experience in clinical research including coordination of recruitment, and minimal financial skills.
- Moderate computer skills including Ms. Office tools i.e., Word, Excel etc.
- Excellent collaborative skills.
- Ability to work in a team and independently.
- Report directly to Site trial Coordinator.
- Assist in insulin titration and monitoring of participant glycemic control.
- Ensure that participants return to clinic for appropriate intervals for collecting follow-up data (e.g., laboratory testing, completing surveys/questionnaires.
- Complete online study forms using a laptop computer or portable devices (e.g. iPad)
- After training, be able to activate and place Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) sensors, download sensor data, remove and replace with new sensor.
- Travel to study participants’ home every after specified interval to obtain CGM data.
- Distribute compensation payments to participants following each completed study milestone.
- Assist with recruitment and obtaining consent from participants
- Receive training and assist in the data collection for the qualitative (1:1 interviews), quality-of-life (surveys) and cost effectiveness sub-studies.
- Ensure the study is done according to the working protocol and adherence to the 1CH Guidelines of Good Clinical Practice (GCP).
- Maintain a close professional relationship with the government officials and other officials in the study area and at the study area.
- Work with the study coordinator and PI to ensure that the study-specific SOPs are complete and are updated regularly.
- Work in a professional and ethical manner with competence, accountability and integrity.
- Perform any other activities as may be assigned
Competitive salary shall be offered to qualified candidates
How to Apply:
Please ensure that you mention www.mabumbe.com as the source of this job advertisement.
If interested, please apply by sending a CV, over letter one page maximum and contact details of 3 references in English to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 18th of November, 2022; 1600 hours EAT. Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line. Only applications submitted via e-mail shall be considered.
Only shortlisted applicants shall be contacted