Qn . 1 What is play
- This is a literary form of writing for theatre, which narrates a story with elements of conflicts, tensions, and actions through dialogues of characters. The writer of a play is a playwright
Qn. 2 List kind of play
- Comedy is a type of drama that aims to make the audience laugh. Its tone is light and it
mostly has a happy ending.
- Tragedy is the play where Murders, deaths, insanity, and pain are among the most common ideas in tragedies.
- Tragicomedy is a special kind of drama that combines the features of tragedy and comedy
- Melodrama is a kind of drama in which everything is hyperbolized.
- Histories is kind of play is based on historical events and characters, often on kings or important figures from Roman history.
Qn.3 Element and form of play.
- PLOT-It what happens. The structure of the play include Exposition, Inciting Incident or
Conflict, Rising Action, climax, falling Action, Denouement.
- CHARACTER- Characters are the people, or sometimes animals, subjected in the drama,
and are portrayed by the actors and actresses in the play.
- SETTING- The setting is the place, together with other conditions, such as time and the
environment, involved in which the events occur.
- LANGUAGE. The word choices made by the playwright and the enunciation of the
actors of the language.
- SPECTACLE- Everything that is seen or heard on stage. Actors, sets, costumes, lights
- THEME- The theme is expressed through words and actions of the characters in a series
of situations that make up the plot. Each situation takes place in a setting
NOTE: Genre/Form Of Drama
Drama is divided into the categories of tragedy, comedy, melodrama, and tragicomedy as explained above in question number Two (2) Each of these genre/forms can be further subdivide by style and content.
- Piaget, Jean (1962). Play, dreams and imitation, New York
- P. Lorna & D. Brien (2015), New Directions in 21st-Century Gothic (1st Edition), Routledge