Enable Youth Kenya Program 2021 for Kenya Young Graduates (2nd Cycle). The Government of Kenya in Collaboration with the Africa Development Bank AfDB_Group is rolling out 2nd Cycle of ENABLE Youth. This Program is targeting young graduates (with Post secondary qualifications)
ENABLE Program is implemented by the Ministry and co-funded by African Development Bank (AfDB) and the Government. It aims at creating youth agripreneurs through skill acquisition and creating an enabling environment in which youth become owners of profitable agribusinesses; This will be attained through training, nurturing and mentorship in the Youth Agribusiness Incubation Centres (YABICs).
The overall goal of the Program is to contribute to job creation, food security and nutrition, income generation and improved livelihoods for youths in both urban and rural areas. The specific objective of the ENABLE Youth project is to create business opportunities and decent employment for young women and men along priority agricultural value chains.
The Program is funded by the Government of Kenya and the African Development Bank (AfDB) and is being implemented by the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, Fisheries & Cooperatives. The Program is implemented using an incubation model for agricultural entrepreneurship (agripreneurship) which entails training, nurturing, mentoring, coaching and financing successful youth candidates.
The incubation is done in eight Youth Agri-Business Incubation Centres (YABICs) as detailed online at www.enableyouth.kilimo.go.ke. Each Incubation Centre is focused on specific value chains entry nodes: Supply of inputs – (including Seeds, Fertilizers, Agrochemicals, animal feeds, hatcheries, farm implements and machinery etc.), Production, Value addition and Processing – (including animal feed formulation), Trade and Marketing – (including aggregation, distribution) and Services
- (Extension, transportation, Technology, tractor hire, bailing, Artificial Insemination etc) NB: Youth are encouraged to apply to all the other nodes apart from Production.
- ENABLE Youth Kenya Program is recruiting suitable Agripreneurs as Incubatees to be Incubated and Trained within the supported value chains.
Enable Youth Kenya Program 2021 Eligibility
The incubation programme shall be open to;
i. Unemployed Kenyan youth graduates who have completed their degree or diploma (Standard Incubation) in any field of study.
ii. Graduate youth agripreneurs who require further training, mentoring and coaching to upscale their business (Accelerated Incubation)
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION OF YOUTH FOR STANDARD INCUBATION
Phase One: Qualifications
- They must be Kenyan Citizen with a National ID.
- Aged 18-35 Years
- A holder of Diploma or Bachelors Degree from a recogized institution
- Value Chains- The proposal should fit within the priority value chains as mapped out by the program and assigned to YABICS
- A demonstrable and verifiable engagement in Agriculture/ Agribusiness – demonstrate engagement and interest in agriculture and agribusiness for a period not less that one and half years either through running of a personal venture or managing parental/guardian
venture or otherwise. Having been a member of a club and attended seminars and training on Agri-issues after college is an added advantage.
- Currently not employed and not registered in any other Government or donor program of incubation or training
- Ability and Willingness to remain personally involved and commit to the project on fulltime basis for the entire period (incubation and implementation)
- Must be willing to chose agribusiness as a career
This component aims to Improve access to land and financial services for youth agribusiness ventures and create awareness around agribusiness policy and regulatory environment while promoting agriculture as a business.IncubationIncubation and acceleration trainings will be provided for selected agribusiness ideas in one of the eight centres across the country. The incubation will entail the development of the business concept, business to business networking, provision of technical assistance and mentorship.
Eligible businesses will access business financing through Loans offered through the Agricultural Finance Corporation. Additionally, commercial financial partners will be incentivised to finance youth in Agribusiness.
ENABLE Program is implemented by the Ministry and co-funded by African Development Bank (AfDB) and the Government. It aims at creating youth agripreneurers through skill acquisition and creating an enabling environment in which youth become owners of profitable agribusinesses.